blog home Firm News Colorado Parks & Wildlife and Veterans Benefits

Colorado Parks & Wildlife and Veterans Benefits

By Wildlife Lawyer on April 13, 2018

Colorado State Parks & Wildlife offers a number of benefits to both active duty and former members of the military who are disabled. Visit the Colorado Parks & Wildlife website for full details. The link is provided at the end of the blog. Colorado and Welsh Law, LLC are grateful for your service and hope you enjoy this beautiful area and all that is has to offer you and your family.

Welsh Law, LLC is here to serve you.

If you are on active duty, you can take advantage of many benefits provided by CPW:

  • Advance purchase of leftover hunting licenses
  • Free admission to all state parks during the month of August
  • Free admission on Veteran’s Day (Nov. 11) to all state parks
  • Resident fishing while home on temporary leave
  • Residency while stationed in Colorado
  • Preference points while deployed outside the U.S. (see website for due dates)
  • License refund or preference point return if deployed after applying for a hunting license.

Disabled Veterans

  • Free admission to all state parks during the month of August
  • Access Colorado State Parks free without a pass on the windshield if a Colorado resident with current Colorado Disabled Veterans license plates.
  • Military veterans who are disabled and residents of Colorado are eligible to apply for a lifetime fishing and small game combo license. (see accessibility page)
  • Colorado resident disabled veterans may apply a Columbine Annual Pass (see accessibility page) Disabled veterans over age 64 qualify for discounted camping in state parks Sunday through Thursday, excluding holidays.

Wounded Warriors/Safe Harbor Program

The Colorado Parks & Wildlife Commission sets aside a number of hunting licenses for members of the Wounded Warrior or Safe Harbor programs. Safe Harbor Program is a Naval Program.

Program Requirements:

  • Must be a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and a Colorado resident or stationed in Colorado.
  • Must be returning from a post-Sept. 11, 2001 overseas contingency operation.
  • Must be assigned to a military medical treatment facility at the time of application.
  • Must be a member of the United States Armed Services Wounded Warrior or Safe Harbor Program.

Complete the Application for Wounded Warrior Program. For more information, contact the Limited Licensing Unit at 303-291-7380.

Main State Office: 303-866-3437

Posted in: Firm News